Days Until Bush Leaves Office = 600
At 4:00 CDT today, Chris Dodd will be doing a live blog event over at FireDogLake to discuss his plans to introduce an amendment to the upcoming Defense Authorization bill that would end American military involvement in Iraq. According to a press release from the Dodd campaign, the ammendment will:
- Immediately begin redeployment of U.S. combat troops.
- Set a firm deadline for completing redeployment by March 31, 2008.
- Provide no additional funding for combat operations after March 31, 2008.
- Hold the Bush Administration accountable during the redeployment period by requiring the Secretary of Defense to regularly report to Congress on the drawdown of forces.
- Institute measures that would make funding within the redeployment period contingent on the progress of phased redeployment.
- Restore the readiness of the military, Reserves and National Guard by transferring portions of monies that would have been available for combat activities.
"The current policy in Iraq has left us less secure and left our standing in the world in tatters. That is why we have to continue the fight to change course," Dodd said in a press release issued by the campaign. "The Dodd Amendment will improve accountability, provide a timetable for the Iraqi government to get its house in order, and safely and responsibly redeploy our troops and bring them home. Now is the time to responsibly bring an end to our involvement in another country's civil war while rebuilding our Reserve and Guard units."
Should be an interesting on-line event, so check it out. Again that's 4:00 CDT today at FireDogLake.